Monday, September 20, 2010

No way will that happen with MY child

Hannah is still not completely potty-trained. I never thought I'd be the mother who had the 3 1/2 year old up on the changing table in a public restroom changing her poo diaper (which are actually pull-ups, because she is too big for the largest size diaper now, and is even starting to outgrow the largest size pull-up as well). What's ironic is that while I was still pregnant with her, I saw a mother in a public restroom one day with her preschooler up on the changing table, legs dangling off, and arrogantly thought, "Hmph. I can't believe her son is still in diapers at that age. No way will that happen with MY child." Dun dun dun! Surprise!

I have tried everything I can think of to get her over that last little hump of going in restrooms other than home, and always initiating it while at home (I have to stay on top of her or she will wait too long and not make it to the potty). I even tried the "Potty Train your Child in Just One Day" method, which the author guarantees will work, though I admit, I didn't follow her instructions 100%. Maybe I should check that book out again from the library and give it another go, though I'm not sure how it would work with the fact that Hannah is already using the potty, she just isn't initiating it 99% of the time.

I know she'll eventually get it, but it is starting to cause problems. When she is in Sunday School at church, for example, she is the only one in the class who doesn't use the potty while there. And then there is the size issue. When she outgrows the pull-ups, which will be soon, we will either have to order a larger size online (assuming they have them), or switch to "Underjams," which is special disposable nightime underwear for older kids who are bed-wetters. Can you say, "Ka-ching!"?

Hopefully it won't be long and I'll be posting  about our, "No more diapers" party we throw for us-- I mean-- her.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with potty training. I am NOT looking forward to that with Jack. I know I had a hard time learning-I think I was "embarrassed" to have to go in public...you know how little kids are.

    Since becoming a mom, I have had many of those moments where I used to think "no way I would do xyz with my kid" and now I find myself doing them. Case in point, stuffing a binky in the mouth of a 9 month old, saying "do you need your mute button?" :)

    ReplyDelete